Sunday, December 9, 2012

Soulbound by Heather Breawer

 Title: Soulbound
Author: Heather Brewer
Publisher:  DIAL

Release Date: June 19, 2012

My Rating: 4  stars!

Pages: 394 pages 


"Tril is a world where Barrons and Healers are Bound to each other: Barrons fight and Healers cure their Barrons' wounds in the ongoing war with the evil Graplar King. Seventeen-year-old Kaya was born a Healer, but she wants to fight. In Tril, and at Shadow Academy, where she is sent to learn to heal, it is against Protocol for Healers to fight. So Kaya must learn in secret. Enter two young men: One charming, rule-following Barron who becomes Bound to Kaya and whose life she must protect at all costs. And one with a mysterious past who seems bent on making Kaya's life as difficult as possible. Kaya asks both to train her, but only one will, and the consequences will change their lives forever."- Goodreads 


Heather Brewer wrote a suspenseful start to a kick- ass series. It was descriptive and her word choice flowed. I was never confused, thank goodness. I've ready enough confusing books lately. I enjoyed her writing a lot, especially the usage of the word fack instead of f*ck. I'm not entirely sure why, but I found that hilarious.
 
The plot was unique in many ways. The main character of the story, Kaya, sacrifices her happiness for her parents. Against her good judgment she goes to a school that teaches what her kind has been doing for thousands of years. Healing the Barrons. The Barrons are the reason humans didn't go extinct long ago. They fight the monsters whose diet consists of humans. Healers are special they can because  they are born bound to a Barron and it's their sole purpose in life to protect them. Also, there was a mystery, which I thought was a great addition to the story.

However, some traits of the plot were the norm. Their was a love triangle. I don't dislike these as much as insta-love, so it didn't completely turn me off the book. The love triangle, thankfully, was believable. There was also the mean girl who tormented Kaya because of a guy. That was basically it though.

Kaya was the best main character I've read about all year. All year! She comes in first place even above Ismae from Grave Mercy. And I love Ismae. Kaya was put in a prejudice  school where next to no one realized just how bad it was. But she chose to be tough and do the right thing. She wasn't forced into it, she was just that kick-ass. I admire her for that. Then there was her best friend Maddox, who albeit a little dislikable at first ended up pulling through for her. Darius was definitely a jerk at first, but he was just putting up a show. He has a scarred past and doesn't want anyone to know about it especially Kaya. Trayton is the guy who Kaya becomes bound to. He follows the rules and doesn't question things. So what happens when Kaya comes along?

There was, however, one thing I didn't like. Parts of the book were predictable. Not all of it but enough for me to cringe. Especially when the so- called cliffhanger was something I figured would happen at the beginning of the book.

I enjoyed this book immensely, despite the couple of things that bugged me. Kaya made the book for me. She was tough and real at the same time. It was suspenseful, with a bit of mystery, a ton of action, friendship, and romance. This book made my top ten books of 2012. Anyone who likes a good ya book with a tough main character should get this book.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate all comments!!! It helps let me know that people actually do read my blog. I will reply to all comments, so check back if you would like to see my reply. Thank you for checking out my blog :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...