Sunday, November 4, 2012

From Bad To Cursed by Katie Alender

Title: From Bad to Cursed
Author: Katie Alender

Publisher: Hyperion
Release Date: June 14th 2011
My Rating: 4.5 stars
Pages: 442

"Alexis is the last girl you'd expect to sell her soul. She already has everything she needs--an adorable boyfriend, the perfect best friend, and a little sister who's finally recovering after being possessed by an evil spirit, then institutionalized.
Alexis is thrilled when her sister joins a club; new friends are just what Kasey needs. It's strange, though, to see how fast the girls in The Sunshine Club go from dorky and antisocial to gorgeous and popular. Soon Alexis learns that the girls have pledged an oath to a seemingly benevolent spirit named Aralt. Worried that Kasey's in over her head again, Alexis and her best friend Megan decide to investigate by joining the club themselves. At first, their connection with Aralt seems harmless. Alexis trades in her pink hair and punky clothes for a mainstream look, and quickly finds herself reveling in her newfound elegance and success.
Instead of fighting off the supernatural, Alexis can hardly remember why she joined in the first place. Surely it wasn't to destroy Aralt...why would she hurt someone who has given her so much, and asked for so little in return?"
- Goodreads


Ahhhhhhhh!!!!! This book was book was amazing! It was unlike anything I've ever read befor (besides the first book in the series of course). Seriously though, it was a nice break from the usual paranormal books I read. Or any books I read.

After nearly a year at a mental institution, Alexis's sister Kasey is back home. Things should be perfect. Alexis has a best friend, a boyfriend, a loving family, and might get a $5000 scholarship for photagraphy. However, Alexis's sister is in trouble again. And once again, its up to Alexis to save her. This time though, things are different. This time not only is a lot more at stake, but the two sisters may have unwittingly dug their own graves.

For the first 150 pages of the book, Alexis honestly annoyed me. I mean, it may just be me, but I thought she was acting like a spoiled teenager. She took everything for granted and it was just really annoying. Plus, she kept telling lies. And I hate it when people lie. However, Alexis soon, even with everything going on, started to grow as a person. She began to recognize everything she had in her life, and it really showed. At the end of the story, Carter taught her a valuable lesson, and I hope she'll become an even better person because of it.

The other main characters; Carter, Kasey, and Megan were superbly done. Carter was the perfect boyfriend (until stuff happened). He was sweet and seemed to care a lot for Alexis. Then there was Kasey. Kasey was a little spiteful at the beginning of the book, but not for no reason. But like Alexis, she really grew as a person and the sisters ended up with an undeniable bond. Finally, Megan was a good addition to the story. She was there when Alexis needed her most, but near the end of the story... Things happened.

Katie Alender's writing was fantastic. Her descriptions of things made me happy, sad, and most importantly scared in all the right places. I was hooked throughout the entire story. There were also no mistakes (that I noticed), which is important to me.

I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a read that keeps you on the edge of your seat in anticipation for the rest of the story. This book is great for both teens and adults.  And one of the best thing about it? There were no insufferable love triangles!

 Add on Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate all comments!!! It helps let me know that people actually do read my blog. I will reply to all comments, so check back if you would like to see my reply. Thank you for checking out my blog :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...