Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

 
The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #2)Title: The Evolution of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkdin
Publisher:  Simon & Schuster
Release Date: October 23, 2012
My Rating: 5 stars

Pages: 544

 
Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.

She can’t.

She used to think her problems were all in her head.

They aren’t.

She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets.

She’s wrong.

In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next?
 
I became entranced with Michelle Hodkin's writing after reading the first book in The Mara Dyer Trilogy. I was hooked and there was no way this line was breaking. Which is one of the reasons behind why I loved this book as much as I did. The word choices of the story were divine. It made the story more interesting for me, a reader, to read. The words fit together like pieces of a puzzle. They flowed together to ensure that the writing was never choppy.
 
This may have been the second book in the Mara Dyer trilogy but it certainly wasn't a filler book. It had it's own plot that made sure I was wide awake the entire time I was reading. There was never a dull moment. What I liked most about this was that things were shown not told. Don't get me wrong, there was definitely some intense dialouge that helped peel away some of the layers of Mara's story. However, more than a few things happened to help reveal the truth too. In fact, this story was just as, if not more, confusing than the first. I was left in the dark for most of the story. Despite everything, the plot thickened near the end and left off with one of man's worst inventions: the cliffhanger.
 
I was actually even more impressed with the characters in this book. There was some character development occuring, especially with Noah. Noah became more relateable. More human. He was less perfect and I really began to care for him because of this. At the same time part of Mara's shell was cracking away too. She became more vulnerable and a better character because of it. Yet, she managed to toughen up in some ways and made a good heroine. Their relationship also developed more and I began to realize why Noah cared for Mara so deeply. Because he had some secrets of his own.
 
I was glad that Mara's friend Jamie was reintroduced into the story. He was a hilarious person and helped the story lighten up more than a few times. Mara's family was just as supportive and loving as ever, although they had their flaws. They refused to believe that Jude was still alive and haunting Mara. Jude who appeared to have one motive and one motive only for visiting Florida: hurting Mara. Even if it meant he hurt other people along with her.
 
One of the things I liked most about the story wasit was missing a characteristic that many ya novels have adopted these days. It didn't have a love triangle! Thank goodness for that. The story was complex enough without it.
 
It must be rational by now to assume that I loved this book. The only complaint I have is that some issues that I feel like should've been resolved in the first book were brought up again. And they didn't go away until the end of the story. However, besides that, it was a story that's laying in wait to be devoured by other people.

Memorable Quotes

 

  • “I'll walk forever with stories inside me that the people I love the most can never hear.” 
  • “This was the boy I loved. A little bit messy. A little bit ruined. A beautiful disaster. Just like me.” 
  • “We are far too screwed up for a goddamned love triangle.”  
 

5 comments:

  1. “We are far too screwed up for a goddamned love triangle.”
    This quote is made of win! Wonderful review! I really want to read this series now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe yeah! It SO is.... it was my favorite quote out of the entire book :)

      Delete
  2. I finished the Unbecoming of Mara Dryer yesterday and enjoyed it more than I thought I would, so I'm looking forward to this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow. Good timing :) That's good. I'm glad you liked it. Are you going to review it? Yeah, I think the next book's even better than the first mainly because of character development.

      Delete
  3. These books are EPIC!!!! I really loved the first book as it totally hit my with how much I adored this book! And this second book? Just as awesome!!

    Zaira Lynn (Merchant Cash Advance)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments!!! It helps let me know that people actually do read my blog. I will reply to all comments, so check back if you would like to see my reply. Thank you for checking out my blog :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...