Thursday, January 10, 2013

Storm

Title: Storm
Author: Brigid Kemmerer
Publisher: Kensington
Release Date: April 24, 2012
My Rating: 4 stars
Pages:  353 pages
 
Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys all the ones she doesn't want. Ever since her ex-boyfriend spread those lies about her. Then she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot. Chris is different. Way different: he can control water just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. They're powerful. Dangerous. Marked for death.
 
And now that she knows the truth, so is Becca.
 
Secrets are hard to keep when your life's at stake. When Hunter, the mysterious new kid around school, turns up with a talent for being in the wrong place at the right time, Becca thinks she can trust him. But then Hunter goes head-to-head with Chris, and Becca wonders who's hiding the most dangerous truth of all.
 
The storm is coming.
 
 
This is the first full length novel by Brigid Kemmerer. Brigid's writing was pretty darn good. There were a couple times where I thought sentences should be rephrased in order to flow better. However, it didn't affect the story too much. Other than that I liked the writing.
 
The plot was what really made the book. It was fantastic. It was always moving and always developing. Seriously, I read this book in one sitting. It's the type of book that keeps you up for hours despite that math final in the morning. I mean, after reading the synopsis I thought it sounded a bit cliché. After all, I've read quite a few books about Elementals. I thought it's been done. That was definitely not the case. This book is something new, something that's never been done before.
 
Becca was another reason why I thought this book was fantastic. She was kick-ass but made relatable for several reasons. She had been hurt big-time and didn't know what to do about it. She dealt with social pressures. Also, it was shown how she was afraid in her kick-ass moments yet she persevered. When Becca inadvertently gets involved with the Merrick brothers, her life changes drastically. Because these brothers aren't what they seem. Sure they're a tight- knit family that jokes around and plays sports. But they have a secret to protect. And Becca just found it out.
 
The youngest Merrick brother Chris was definitely a character. He was tough yet kind. Sensitive yet jealous. He was complicated and it showed. He was forced to grow up too fast along with his brothers. His loneliness showed, which is probably why he cared more for her than his secret.
 
I've raved about this story for quite some time now. Unfortunately, there was a reason this book lost one star. I felt that, although the plot rocked, there were some minute details that could've been explained a bit better. Also, there was a love triangle. Surprisingly enough it wasn't cliché and the other guy just might have a chance (I refuse to spoil anything). Then one of the guys does something completely out of character. It made no sense to me.
 
Even though there was a couple things that bugged me, I loved this book. It kept me up late and I know need to get the next book in the series. Asap. I would recommend it to older teens, fans of paranormal books, and fast-moving plots. Just remember not to read it if you have a math test the next day. And don't start reading it at night.
 
Memorable Quotes
 
  • “Casper, she said someone has to hold your leash.”
    The dog barked.
    Then he dipped his head, picked up the end of the leash in his mouth, and trotted after his master.”
  • “I shouldn’t have hit him.” She flexed her fingers. “My hand still hurts.”
    Chris smiled. “Oh, no, I loved that part.”  
  • “You're probably thinking I owe you my life."[Chris]
    "No." she [Becca] snapped.
    "Just sixty bucks."
    "You charge for the hero act?" [Chris]”  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate all comments!!! It helps let me know that people actually do read my blog. I will reply to all comments, so check back if you would like to see my reply. Thank you for checking out my blog :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...